cardon voice articles and videos

Studio Blog 

Voice Major

by | Apr 9, 2022 | Performance Skills, Technique, Voice

Many passionate singers decide to pursue university level education in Voice through a college or university. But there are surprising differences in different types of degree programs that can be helpful to consider as you select which schools you may apply to! Here are some considerations to keep in mind:

Degree Type

  • Some schools may offer different degree programs for the same major (i.e. BA and BM/BFA)
  • Bachelor of Arts: A BA in Music is a wonderful degree to get, but depending on your career goals, may be less specialized to your aspirations. Commonly, a BA is more generalized than a BM or BFA, so you may consider this degree path to be a great first step before more advanced study in a more focused Graduate program.
  • Bachelor of Music: A BM in Voice Performance is the pathway which requires the most music course work, including Harmony, Ear-training, and Western Classical Music History. Generally, a BM program is focused on Classical Music.
  • Bachelor of Fine Arts: A BFA in Voice (or Musical Theatre or Jazz Voice) is another highly specialized pathway focused on musicianship. BFA coursework is often focused more on Contemporary styles including Jazz or Musical Theatre.

Musical Style

  • Classical Voice
  • Contemporary Voice (sometimes called CCM, Contemporary and Commercial Music)
  • Jazz Voice
  • Musical Theatre Voice
  • Cross-curricular Study in Multiple Styles

Professional Options

  • Does the school offer a Masters as well? Some programs which offer a Masters degree may enable you to continue on for one additional year to graduate with a Masters, rather than the typical two years to complete the Masters level education somewhere else.
  • Is it possible to complete the requirements for a teaching credential simultaneously? Some schools allow you to graduate in four years with a teaching certification (essentially a minor in Music Education) in conjunction with your degree.
  • Are TA Positions available? Some colleges may offer paid Teaching Assistantships which not only provide some income while you are enrolled but are also strong resume builders for your future studies or career aspirations!
  • Is the school located in a vibrant arts city? Outside of your studies, absorbing as much music in as many styles as possible will only make you a more well-rounded musician!
  • Are students allowed to accept performing gigs outside of the university? Some schools do not allow students to perform off-campus.
  • Are study abroad options available? A semester in London for Musical Theatre, or in Italy for Voice Performance may be a great option for some! Find out what’s available.
  • What Performing Credits do the Faculty have?
  • Which Professional Associations do the Faculty belong to?

Care for some back-up as you make these important choices? The talented teachers at Cardon Voice have all received university level Voice education and would love to be a resource for you as you make important decisions about your learning. Further, we would love to help you prepare your college entrance auditions!

Schedule your complimentary consultation today
to get started.

Questions? Get in touch!